When you are planning to get a pond ready for your lovely fishes then it is always a necessary step to test the pond water, and see if it is good for the growth of the fishes. In a mature pond your fishes can feel the problem regarding water quality. Not that the quality of the water is always not great, but it may change within the span of 6 to 12 months. So keeping a check on the quality of the water is always needed.
When you are keeping a pond in its natural state, the flow of fresh and natural water from a stream or spring is regular thing. Also the water flows out of the pond through natural process. Even if you are not using a natural pond and using an aquarium to keep your fishes, then also a pond water test kit will come handy to you. Pond pump guides have few of the choices that you can also check.
- Why Pond Water Test Kit is important:
- Best 6 Pond Water Test Kit
- API Freshwater Master Test Kit
- Nutrafin Carbonate and General Hardness Test Kit for Aquarium
- Aquascape 96019 water test kit
- Watersafe Water Test Kit
- NT Labs NT280 Multiple Analysis Kit
- Drinking water test kit-10 minutes testing
- When is the good time to test the pond water:
Why Pond Water Test Kit is important:
- To prevent your fishes from getting sick by various kinds of diseases, you may take proactive actions and maintain the good water quality.
- To verify the good quality of water you need to keep the water checked regularly. For an aquarium a bi-weekly water change is necessary. After that you may check the water to know if it has acquired 25% or more of toxic build up. Along with that you need to clean the debris that the filter did not clear and replenish the oxygen supply for the fishes.
Best 6 Pond Water Test Kit
Now we will provide you with the list of pond water test kits which are best in the market and will help you in checking your pond water regularly and maintain the health of the fishes.
API Freshwater Master Test Kit
This one is actually a master player in terms of keeping a check on the water quality. It works better than the strips as stated by some of the users. The kit comes with 4 test tubes, 2 ammonia bottles, 2 nitrate bottles, 1 nitrite bottle, 1 ph up bottle, 1 ph down bottle and a colour card. The instruction booklet comes with all the necessary instructions regarding how much of which bottle is to put into the water for which purposes.
- It works better than strips.
- It contains all the necessary equipments that a person may need to keep the balance of the water right.
- The product works wonderfully but it is a bit expensive.
- The test needs 10 minutes to get completed.
- The result is very accurate and you will get clear result.
- It comes with 4 test tubes which means one test is lacking as there are 5 tests to commit on the water.
- To do the test you need to take 5ml of water from the pond or aquarium.
- Add the solution when the tube is upside down and not in any angled position, so the drop falls uniformly.
- After reading the instruction if you have any doubts, then it is better to watch a YouTube video for tutorial.
- The price is little bit more on the higher side and yet we must say that this is much justified a price for this product.
- There are various processes to check the components of the water, for the PH balance, you may shake the bottle a few times and then add a few drops to the bottle. After shaking the bottle gently you will be able to see the clear result.
- For high PH checking you need to put 5 drops or for ammonia test you need to put 8 drops in bottle 1. From bottle 2 you need to add 8 drops again and then keep shaking lightly. Within 5 minutes you will be able to see the result. For nitrite you need to shake the bottle gently after adding 5 drops from the bottle to see the result.
- For nitrate first you need to shake the bottle a few times and then ad 10 drops on the test tube. Afterwards you need to shake the bottle forcefully for 5 seconds. The result will be seen after 5 minutes.
Nutrafin Carbonate and General Hardness Test Kit for Aquarium
This test kit for aquarium is to check the carbonate and general hardness of the water.
- The measurement of carbonate hardness can be detected by using this kit. This balance is called kh. Along with this you can also check the general hardness of the water which is mentioned as gh.
- This is equally application to freshwater and saltwater aquarium.
- The level of calcium and magnesium can be detected by using this kit. These elements determine the general hardness of the water.
- There are 15 ml bottle of kh reagent, 10 ml bottle of gh reagent, one glass test tube with cap. There is also one pipette, one lab base and one instruction booklet in this pack.
- To set up a new aquarium you must need the help of this kit. The water quality parameter is can ensure you that you will get to use that pond for the fishes safely.
- The colour change in the kit is easy to distinguish so it is a bonus for the users.
- If your pond acquires low carbonate hardness then the lives in the pond will not be great.
- You can get it in a 15 ml refill pack which will run for months.
Aquascape 96019 water test kit
This kit helps to measure the kh and alkalinity of the pond water. This is a mandatory step to keep the fishes healthy.
- This kit offers accurate lab quality testing for the pond water. You can also use it in aquariums.
- This kit is idea for optimizing the benefits of Aquascape Iongen system.
- There are 60 tests per kit available.
- This is a sensitive and accurate test kit and it will help you to measure the carbonate hardness or kh and other alkalinity factors.
- This is an easy and useful product to work with.
- The test can be done on both salty and fresh water ponds.
- The carbonate hardness is known as kh, it works as an indicator of the bicarbonate level that is found in water. Bicarbonate acts as an important buffer. If the buffering system does not work accurately, the ph balance will not be maintained in the water. Periodically you need to keep a check on the carbonate hardness of the water.
- Any sudden change in the ph level can cause stress for the fishes and other lives in the water, so using Aquascape saves you from the disaster.
Watersafe Water Test Kit
The Watersafe water test kit is to provide your koi fish pond a new life by checking the water character regularly and accurately. The kit comes with the writing that it judges the water for the drinking purpose, but that also applies to the best pond water where the fishes can live healthy and happily. So this is a great pond parameter tester that has many important parameters.
- This is an easy to use test kit for pond water. The common parameters that one expects from a pond water test kit are all present here.
- The testing of chlorine can be done easily with this kit. Chlorine is extremely harmful for the fishes and so it must be detected before it does any harm to your fishes.
- When you are planning a refilling then you must do a water check up, as it is necessary after every water change. Do the test and see the results to take precautionary steps.
- There is a pen style tester that digitally reads out the chemicals present in the water. The results you can read to know the amount of ingredient present in the water.
- The kit is eligible for testing each of the parameter only once, so if you need to check the parameters regularly you have to keep separate arrangement.
- The kit can test for pH, bacteria, copper, iron, nitrite, nitrate, total hardness, chlorine, lead and pesticides.
- It offers quick result so that is great.
NT Labs NT280 Multiple Analysis Kit
This is an award winning multi task kit which has always got a good review from the uses.
- It can test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, acidity, alkalinity and general hardness.
- The test kit can cause irritation in the eyes and skin so you need to be careful while using this kit for water checking.
- This kit comprises of 200 tests over the parameters mentioned above.
- This one has won so many of positive reviews from the users for its efficiency and utility.
- Only 5 ml water is needed for each test.
- The box that contains the kit comes with a section where you can put the test tube while the test is taking place.
- The box is cardboard made so that is an eco friendly packaging.
- There are labels for all the test tubes so there will be no chance of getting mixed up or confused.
- The test tubes come in an unique flat bottom shapes so when you are not holding them while the test is happening, and the box has got damaged, you can keep them in a table or any flat surface, and they will stand on their own.
- The instruction manual comes with a grid so you can put the date of checking and the amount and result of water testing. This way you will be able to keep a check on the tests done your pond water.
- The product is very much user friendly. The brand has thought of many ways to satisfy the customers and keep them happy.
- The ammonia level can be tested by this kit which is really useful as increased ammonia level is really dangerous for your pond fishes
- A bubblestone comes with this package which helps to oxygenate the pond water.
- The kit takes more time to get the result than the strips doe. You need to allow it at least 30 to 40 minutes to know the accurate result.
- This is a much straightforward product and is pretty easy to use.
- The cardboard box keeps the ingredients dry and safe which is another benefit of the good packaging.
- The user will be able to use this kit better if they read the instruction of the testing properly. The kit can help you in multi tasking if you are sure about the parameters and the processes beforehand. By multitasking you can decrease the time limit and it will be barely 15 minutes to know the test result.
- This kit works with such simple process that it is really good for the beginners who have started taking interest in fish pond.
- It checks all the major ingredients like PH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and alkalinity.
Drinking water test kit-10 minutes testing
This kit contains test for all the necessary elements, this is a multi functional kit and do not get baffled by the name, the drinking water compounds are similar to that of the pond water, so this kit is equally effective for pond water for fishes.
- The kit offers protection and checking from lead, bacteria, pesticide, iron, copper, alkalinity and hardness, chlorine, nitrate and nitrites. There are 10 components that can be checked by this kit and you can get proper protection against these harmful elements.
- This kit can be worked simply and yet it offers the result similar to laboratory test. You can put your own sample and get results within very short time which will be pretty accurate.
- This kit is made in USA and thus you can trust it for the quality and credibility.
- The kit is calibrated to the EPA standard. You can compare your result with the EPA recommendation and guidelines to check the purity of the water.
- The manufacturer offers 100% money back guarantee if you are not fully satisfied with the water testing kit without any questions.
- The test kit will give you accurate result if you follow the instruction properly. If not done correctly you can end up having false positives.
- Also you need to take care of the test to be done only on cold water, as the test can be only totally ruined if you use hot water.
- Do not exceed 48 hours before checking the result as it may not show the right result afterwards.
- The bacterial test is not properly directed in the instruction manual, they have mentioned that they are working on it.
- All 10 tests in the package can be tested easily.
- The customer care is really efficient and responsive, so you can get in touch with them at any point while having any issue to use this kit.
When is the good time to test the pond water:
Tests should be done on mature ponds. Whenever you suspect a problem you must run a test on the pond water to check if everything is normal and the fishes are in good condition. Other than that there are certain times when you must conduct a pond water test, like:
- When you are using a new pond that has not matured
- After a water treatment for medicine, algaecide or any other added component
- If you find the water clarity to be different
- If your fishes are not in good health, many of them getting sick
Pond water test kits always help you to find out the problem of the water and that too is doe pretty quickly. To manage the pond eco system you must use the pond water kit. The eco system can get hampered by different reasons, and the outcomes like the sick fishes, discoloured water or any specific odour in the water. Do not try to guess the problem on your own as that can be harmful for the water lives. You can use a water test kit to locate the problem and get the solution ready to treat the water in the best way.
It can be a new pond or a mature one, if you suspect a problem always use a water test kit. Also you can be curious to know the state of the water and then only a water test kit can meet your need. Some test kits offer certain values, which can be the ammonia level or the pH level. If you feel something is not right then you can get a kit that specifically locates that element which you have earlier suspected. This way you can be doubly sure of the problems.